The band t-shirt fad needs to be reconstructed and brought back to its original meaning, when shirts were sold only at concerts, when the shirt was respect for the band instead of a style choice. The age of band shirts being something special and awarding has ended since they began to be sold in stores like Hot Topic, Spencers, and even Sears or JCPennys. Anybody can walk into a store and buy a t-shirt based on the design, without knowing one song from the band being mentioned on the shirt. This generation wants shirts for their style and popularity rather than to show their support for a great band.
When the band t-shirt first started being produced, they were only sold at concerts; which meant you had to know, and like the band enough to buy tickets for their concert in order to pay more money to get a t-shirt with their name on it. No longer are the days when owning a band t-shirt meant you liked that band, that you knew that band like the back of your own hand. Welcome to the days when everybody and their uncle owns a band shirt of sorts, owns a band t-shirt of a group they've never even listened to.
Regretfully, I have taken part in this band t-shirt fad. In middle school, I wanted to fit in with my friends, the preppy girls (another reason I regret this story), who all loved Blink-182. I had my mother take me to the mall so that I could use all of the money I’d been saving up from my allowance to buy myself as many Blink-182 band shirts as I possibly could. By the end of the month, those “friends” were no longer interested in Blink-182 and I was lost with shirts I didn’t want.
In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with wearing band t-shirts that are bought outside of the concert scene. Band t-shirts should be bought out of respect for the band, not as a style.
Word Count : 338
No comments:
Post a Comment