Welcome to the blog created for my American Studies 100Y class. Freshman year is going to be a blast!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Who am I?

I can no longer define myself as who I am, but rather as who I am not. I am not the eating disorder that I have suffered from since 7th grade. I am not the depression that sprouted from my eating disorder.
Junior year of High School I was caught extremely underweight and filled with anxiety and depression. On December 24, 2008, I was admitted into the Sheppard Pratt Center For Eating Disorders. Fast forward to the beginning of Senior year, I meet a boy who already knows that I'm learning to cope with my ED, and he helps me through the year, one meal at a time, one day at a time. He is every part of who I am now because he has helped me to recover just as much as my close family and best friend.
I am quiet unless I know you, kind to whomever I speak to. I believe everybody is beautiful and deserves to be happy. I believe in my God as a Christian, but I can't imagine that any other religion could be remotely any less correct than my own.

Link to my restraining order against ED written approximately one year after my first admittance, edited so that it would be visible to everybody.

10 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration to me. We all have trials, problems, issues, whatever one wants to call them, but YOU have faced yours head on and you are winning. BRAVO to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a strong person, not only the fact that you went thru something so big at such a young age, but to actually have the strength and courage to tell your story is amazing. stay strong! it is clear that you have a lot of people who love you! thanks for sharing your story, I'm sure a lot of people will learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but its the size of the fight in the dog. great story and motivational too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing stories like this, keep up the good work and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on overcoming your disorder! I was on the same path in 7th grade...I'm glad you got the help you needed. You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey...
    As I already told you in class...You are an excellent writer. I have similar problems and am trying to get over them. Of course, it's not all that easy and I admire your strength to overcome it and your courage to speak out. If you need anything girl, I got your back :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fact you have the strength to share this post with the class is incredibly inspirational. Based off of the comments, I think its good to know that although we all go through different ordeals in our life if we only have the strength to share them we'll find a wealth of support

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned in my Senior year of high school that it was better to be open about my problems than to keep them inside.
    I've learned that if I tell people about my problems, then they can help me keep on track. I am by no means over my eating disorder, I still struggle on a day to day basis, and telling people has helped me because they can help watch me, support me through meals I have problems with.

    I feel that if people know that I've had my hardships, they can talk to me about theirs. I give just as much support as I've been given, and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I currently have a friend undergoing treatment for and eating disorder. Hearing your story just makes support her that much more to get better. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Tom, is your friend inpatient or outpatient in her treatment? Because if she ever needs to go inpatient (living in a hospital for longer periods of time), Sheppard Pratt is by far the best in this area, and in many areas. I know someone who came all the way from Germany to go to Sheppard Pratt. Tell your friend that all will be okay, and that some stranger wants her to remember she is beautiful and to love her body.

    ReplyDelete